Due to concerns from B-Y Water District, the City of Mitchell is requesting water usage restrictions. This includes residents, businesses, City facilities and industries. Addresses ending with an even number are to water on even calendar days. Addresses ending with an odd number are to water on odd calendar days. Please do not water between the hours of 10:00 AM and 8:00 PM. Thank you for your cooperation.
LAWN WATERING TECHNIQUES
- Water early in the morning; it is the best time to water for all plants. Avoid watering during the afternoon, which is the hottest period of the day and when evaporation is the greatest.
- Water only when your lawn needs it. If you step on the grass and it springs back, it does not need watering. An established lawn needs only one inch of water per week.
- Deep-soak your lawn. When you do water, do it long enough for moisture to soak to the roots where it will be most beneficial. A light sprinkling can evaporate quickly and tends to encourage shallow root systems.
- Position your sprinklers so the water lands on the lawn or garden, not on paved areas.
- Plant drought-resistant trees and plants. Add mulch around them to slow evaporation of moisture and discourage weed growth.