On March 13, 2020 the City of Mitchell closed City Facilities in order to help "slow the spread" of the Coronavirus. Since that time, City facilities have been providing services through alternate delivery methods. On April 28, the Mayor suspended Ordinance 2020-04; which was confirmed by the Mitchell City Council on May 4, 2020. City departments have been working on implementing additional safety precautions so that we can begin opening facilities to the public and provide the safest manner possible for our employees to interact with customers. As City facilities open, you will notice changes to policies and procedures for interacting with those services.
The City of Mitchell Asks that anyone conducting business in city facilities follow CDC guidelines for social distancing, and stay home if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or if you have been exposed to someone who tested positive with COVID-19. The City will continue to provide the alternate delivery methods for city services for those who are not able to, or are not comfortable interacting with City services in person.
Listed below are the reopening timelines for each facility. All items are subject to change based on current conditions in the City of Mitchell.
- Recreation Center opened with restrictions on May 4th. The policy changes for the recreation center can be found at: https://www.cityofmitchell.org/DocumentCenter/View/2344/Recreation-Center-reopening-plan-002
- City Hall will reopen to the public during normal hours (8 am - 5pm, Monday- Friday) on Monday, May 11. The public is still encouraged to use the drop box on the east side of city hall, or online payment services.
- Corn Palace will reopen to the public during normal hours (8am - 5pm, Monday- Saturday) starting Monday, May 11. On May 25, the Corn Palace will move to summer hours and will be open 8-9 pm daily. Visitors are encouraged to wear masks will be asked to maintain social distancing requirements while visiting the corn palace. The Corn Palace has implemented extra cleaning procedures and additional sanitizer stations for visitors to the Corn Palace.
- Public Safety Center customer lobby will reopen on Monday, May 11th.
- Mitchell Public Library will be reopening with limitations starting May 18th. Policy changes will be released when finalized by the Library board On Monday, May 11.
- The James Valley Community Center will be closed until June 1st due to construction that is occurring in the facility. The City will continue to offer the nutritional program as "to go" meals until the construction project is complete.
- The Cemetery Offices are open during normal hours with restrictions on the number of people that can be in the office at a time. Please call ahead for additional information: 605-995-8463.
- The Lakeview Golf Course continues to be open with modified operational policies.
- Indoor Park Shelters are scheduled to open after May 16.
- The Outdoor pool is tentatively scheduled to open June 1st.
City Program anticipated start dates:
- Park & Recreation Youth Programming is tentatively scheduled to open June 15.
- Farmers Market in the Corn Palace Plaza is scheduled to start in July.
- Library summer reading program is scheduled to start after June 1st utilizing an alternative delivery method.
If you have questions about a specific department or facility, we encourage you to call ahead and discuss your questions or concerns. City staff are able to make accommodations to assist individuals who may be concerned about conducting city business in person. You can find a list of City phone numbers at: https://www.cityofmitchell.org/directory.aspx